Monday, December 12, 2005

did i just screw up my career?

I had attended a workshop in school today - Resumes and cover letters. I had enrolled for this workshop with the aim of learning to craft out one hella resume. I regretted my decision, unfortunately. It did nothing to allay my fears. On the contrary, it made my already grey life more miserable.

We know how difficult job-seeking was. We know how meagre the chances of landing a good job. But we didn't know it was THAT difficult. What are the chances of landing a job at an engineering firm with at least a thousand other applicants? Writing a good resume would put you through the first stage. And how am i supposed to write a good resume when i don't even have a decent content?

I do not have a long list of previous working experiences to include in my resume. Unless you include vacation jobs. I don't give tuitions. I can't even cope with my studies, lest start helping others with theirs. Without working experiences, the very next criteria employers look at would be co-curriculum activities or CCAs. At least this was what was told during today's workshop. CCAs?Try talking about CCAs to my fellow peers who graduated from secondary school in 1996 and then entered polytechnic in 1997. Three years later in 2000, we graduated from polytechnic and entered the army. 2003. Completed National Service. And you're telling me now that CCA is IMPORTANT!?! Why didn't they said anything about that when i'd just graduated from secondary school? How am i supposed to land myself a job now that i've neither working experience nor CCAs? The CCA thing sucks real bad. It wasn't my fault or anything. I'm just the innocent passer-by who gets killed in the cross-fire.

So i've decided. If the employers ask for an expected salary, i'm gonna place mine as low as possible. I'm gonna spoil the job market. Start the ball rolling. Come on, I have a degree and diploma plus, as value add, i demand very low salary. Why should you not employ me? Like what my dad has always said: Forget about the starting salary, get the experience. I'm gonna go like: I'm up for grabs at S$1600 per month!!! Do you want to employ me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home