Wednesday, May 24, 2006

the next 24

Nervous. As i'm writing now, i can't help but think what's in store for me the next 24 hours. Armaggedon pending. Exams results will be announced in less than 24 hours. Will i graduate? Or am i gonna fail some module and embarrass myself?

Heaven's been very kind to me all this time, and i really do hope that His/Her/Their kindness don't falter this time round. It will be really devastating if the latter happens. I wonder if i can stand again if the unforeseen happens. I have been striving, perservering throughout my university life. I'm not the brightest kid around. Neither am i the most hardworking kid around. But He/She/They has/have always smiled on me.

I had entered the poytechnic against all wishes. Getting into a polytechnic was looked down upon then. No
school uniforms, no proper timetables...And everyone had the notion that school leavers who'd enrolled in a polytechnic were misfits. I was rebuked by my teachers when they knew i was entering poly. Who'd blame them? I was from the "best" class in school and graduates from the "best" class were supposed to enter junior colleges and later universities. Nobody seemed to understand me then. Not even my parents.

They were apprehensive initially. Until i said it was poly or nothing. Then they relented. My grandparents and relatives were also appalled by my decision then. Both their patrilineal granchildren had entered junior colleges. And i hadn't any precedent who'd enter a polytechnic.

I'm glad i stuck on with my decision. I'm glad i'd put in lots of effort in the polytechnic. And i'm glad i was able to enrol into a local university. I'm glad my Dad provided me with funds for my education in the polytechnic and university. And i'm glad there is CPF, without which i wouldn't have been able to further my education. I don't come from a very well-to-do family. A five-digit amount for university education would have been impossible if it weren't for my Dad's CPF funds.

The notion of breaking all hopes terrifies me. And all hopes will depend on tomorrow's exam results.

Well, on a lighter note now. I said in my previous entry that i was poised with logic questions during my first and second interviews. And as a form of entertainment i had published two questions from my first interview. Today, I will just add the other two from my second interview. Here it goes:

1st Question of Interview 2:

In a room (denote Room 1), there is an incandescent light bulb. Room 1 is isolated from where the switches are. In other words, the switch to this light bulb is in another room (denote Room 2). The problem is that there are three switches in this Room 2 and you need to know which is the correct one that switches on the light bulb in Room 1. However, you can only enter Room 1 ONCE to check the light bulb. How will you find out which is the correct switch? Remember that you can only enter Room 1 once.

2nd Question of Interview 2:

There is a circular pond which lives a magic flower. This magic flower doubles itself everyday. For example, on Day 1, there is one flower. On Day 2, there are 2 flowers. On Day 3, there are 4 flowers. On Day 4, there are 8 flowers....On Day 32 you count the number of flowers in the pond. On what day is the number of flowers half of that of Day 32?

Have fun with the questions!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cant figure the switch ques. But for the 2nd one, ans is Day 31 right?

12:13 AM  
Blogger winterfangs said...

Yup....Answer's Day 31 for the 2nd question....

LOOK BELOW ONLY IF YOU WANT THE ANSWER FOR QUESTION 1 OF INTERVIEW 2!!!!



First switch on any of the three switches for about an hour (Denote Switch 1). After an hour's gone by, switch off this switch and proceed to switch on one of the remaining untried switches (Denote Switch 2). Now enter the room.

The crux to solving this problem is that the lamp is incandescent, that is, it gives out heat as well as light. Upon entering Room 1, CHECK whether there is light. If there is light, then the Switch 2 is the correct switch. If there is NO light, proceed to TOUCH the lamp. If the lamp feels hot, then Switch 1 must be the correct switch since the lamp lit up and heated itself when Switch 1 was turned on. If the lamp is unlit and it doesn't feel hot, then Switch 3 must be the switch!

HOPE THESE HELPS!!!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home